Monday, June 3, 2013

A Good Week in Books (54) -BEA Edition


So, my book week was beyond epic. I don’t think I have ever gotten so many books in one time before, in my whole life. And I purchase/borrow/receive/order/request my fair share of books…
It was my first experience at BEA (Book Expo America) in NYC. My library actually sent me there! I learned a lot about all the new YA and Children’s books that pretty much every publisher out there is pushing for this upcoming year. I learned a lot about what editors are thinking will be the “next big thing.” I mingled with publishers, authors, bloggers, agents, reviewers, publishers, press, and I probably gave my card to way more people than I ever thought I would. I actually think the most fun I had was talking to people in line for author signings. I met up with a friend I haven’t seen in over a year (from library school) in line –Christina from A Reader of Fictions! And I also kept bumping into the same familiar faces (two of which belonged to two of the coolest bloggers: Giselle from Xpreso Reads, and Micheline from Lunar-Rainbows.
Seriously though, book people are the best people. Aside from the mingling, the work stuff, the awesome bloggers, and all the networking, I went to some great events, met some amazing authors, and received so, so, so, many books!
This is a picture of the interview of two Newberry Medalists: Cynthia Voight and Kate DiCamillo:

This is a picture of me with Giselle and Micheline (two awesome Canadian bloggers):


Gerald and Piggie (outside the Mo Willems signing). Gerald was blowing me kisses in line! By the way, Mo Willems was awesome and he totally drew pictures in his autographs. Also, I received two signed books, a foam pigeon, and a pigeon cupcake at this signing!

Right near the front Entrance:


Picture books:
 
A Big Guy Took My Ball! By Mo Willems
(signed finished copy)
Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus: 10 year anniversary  by Mo Willems (signed finished copy)
Bugs in My Hair by David Shannon
Train
by Elisha Cooper
Guys Can be Cat Ladies Too by Michael Showalter (more of a humor than picture book)
Chalk by Bill Thomson (finished copy)
The Year of the Jungle by Suzzane Collins
Biggest book haul ever (in no particular order…I kind of meant to leave them in their piles, but in carrying them to write my blog post, dropped a lot…I do have a sprained ankle now –from falling down on some uneven sidewalk, carrying too many books). Also, the pictures were taken before I gave some books away. This list is made up of the books I still have…I already gave away 11 books (some adult, some fantasy, and some YA) to my roomie who helped me carry them and her boyfriend!
 
Never Fade
by Alexandra Bracken (signed)
Unstoppable (Book 1 Nowhere to Run: 39 Clues) by Jude Watson
The Boy on the Porch by Sharon Creech
Infinity Ring Book 5 Cave of Wonders by Matthew J. Kirby
If You Could be Mine by Sara Farizan
The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable
Skin by Donna Jo Napoli
Entangled by Amy Rose Capetta
Torn by David Massey
Frozen by Melissa De La Cruz and Michael Johnston
Ghost Hawk by Susan Cooper
Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson (signed)
The Enchanted Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
Storm Watcher by Maria V. Snyder (signed)
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown  by Holly Black
Altered by Gennifer Albin
Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick
Heaven is Paved with Oreos by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles
Hero by Alethea Kontis
School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani (signed)
A Most Dangerous Deception by Sarah Zettel
Hereafter by Kate Brian (signed)
False Sight by Dan Krokos (signed)
The Eye of Minds by James Dashner
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
How to Love by Katie Contugno
Teardrop by Lauren Kate
The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer
The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan (finished copy)
Ghost Time by Courtney Eldridge
The Twisted Key by Tone Almhjell
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
The Cutting Room Floor by Dawn Klehr
The Fantastic Family Whipple by Matthew Ward
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
The Truth that’s in Me by Julie Berry
The Clockwork Scarab  by Colleen Gleason
The Witch of Little Italy by Suzanne Palmieri
The Waking Dark by Robin Wasserman (signed)
Under the Empyrean Sky by Chuck Wendig
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (signed)
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
The Creature Department by Robert Paul Weston
That Part was True by Deborah McKinlay
Bluffton by Matt Phelan
The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Kate Alender
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
I will most definitely be offering up a major BEA giveaway soon. You might have spotted a few repeats in my stacks. I’m already giving a lot of books away to friends/librarians. But, I have a nice pile of books that scream giveaway, so come back soon (hopefully next weekend)!
How was your week in books?

2 comments:

  1. BEA looked fun :) A question: are your giveaways international? There's only one book I really wish I could get and it's on you list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out Nori, it was SO awesome to meet you and be able to hang out throughout BEA!! I just loved reading your recap post too - you're right: book people ARE the best people ♥ Your haul is beyond awesome too, I love that you got The Way of Kings too by Sanderson and Marie Antoinette Serial Killer :D Your shot of the Allegiant poster is pretty sweet too. Also glad I have another awesome blog to stalk...I mean follow :) Thanks for sharing girl, hope to see you back next year!

    ReplyDelete