Monday, May 12, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass


Summary (from Goodreads):
The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey... Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned.
Review:
I absolutely adore these books! I have so many good memories with the series. I remember placing The Selection (book 1) on the “Staff Picks” wall at the Barnes and Noble I once worked at. As soon as I got the go-okay to add a recommendation to the wall, I put that one on. And I remember my managers smiling and laughing about how many people (of various ages) I was able to recommend this book to. Seriously, the store had to order more copies. I take pride in my book talking skills…
Any way, this book could not have come fast enough. I know a lot of dystopias get compared to the Hunger Games, and at this point that almost always makes me not want to read the book. But, in this case, Cass actually pulls one of my favorite elements from Collin’s series –the whole idea of everyone watching what’s happening. I’m a little surprised not more dystopias deal with the whole reality tv topic. Though, in the long run, I guess I’m a little bit happy about this too –because then books like this one can become a huge treat!
I loved that on top of the fairy tale story, the dystopia type world setting, the insane competition, and the all the pretty dresses, there was also a voyeurism theme, where nothing really is private. Cass has a way of writing about scary, political, and in depth ideas in general, in a rather fluffy way. That sounds weird. And I don’t want to bring any negativity with that comment. If anything, I love this. She has a very easy to read writing style. It’s so easy and fast that I think it will be hard for any fan not to read this in one sitting (like me). But, Cass also goes into some deep topics here.
The whole caste system was fascinating to me. I also loved the idea of two different groups of rebels. I found the whole concept of the girls being attacked and bombed left and right an interesting addition to the story too. This was no easy episode of the Bachelor. This book has more death, more class divides, more danger, more confrontations between America and the evil king, more romance, more fighting, and lots of more action.
I know a big appeal for people was the love triangle, which I actually think this author also handled remarkably well. For me, love triangles either rock or don’t rock. And I also loved that there was a lot more at stake for America than a future husband. She finally decides what she wants and who she wants in this book, and it was so nice to see this character finally figure things out. Because once she did, she was a force to be reckoned with.
I absolutely can’t talk too much more about the plot because I don’t want to spoil things. This is definitely a book you want to go into, spoil free. Just know, I thought it was a great ending for a very addicting series. This is definitely a more romance heavy dystopia than others; however, it’s a romance done right. I highly recommend this to fantasy, dystopia, and reality tv fans. What a great series to take to the beach this summer! I give it a 10/10.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to have some free time again! I've got soooo many books waiting to be read over the summer =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Now I want to read this one even more. I should probably reread the first so I can get lost in the story and refresh my memories.

    ReplyDelete