Monday, January 5, 2015

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson


Summary (on Goodreads):
Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, New York!

It's history in the making from acclaimed writer G. Willow Wilson (Air, Cairo) and beloved artist Adrian Alphona (RUNAWAYS)! Collecting MS. MARVEL (2014) #1-5 and material from ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW!
Review:
I don’t normally read a ton of comic books. I do like a good graphic novel now and then (as you can tell from my reviews), but I haven’t read a comic book in a while. However, when I learned that the new Ms. Marvel was going to be a teen Muslim girl from Jersey, I knew I would have to read this one.
I know there has been a lot going this past year about race (in books, law, and life). And I was beyond excited to see a little diversity in a comic book, which lets’ face it tends to be pretty white. Also, I love that this was completely and utterly YA. Everything from the best friend with a crush, to the needing to explore the unknown, to getting angry at her parents, and to learning her abilities made this one so YA friendly that I couln’t help but love it.
I liked reading about Kamala’s family and culture. I liked that she wasn’t sure what she believed. And I loved her sarcasm! She was one snaky YA superhero that is for sure. I also loved how real the setting was. There was school, and parties at the park, and a convenient store. I particularly loved the message of the story about image. So much was said (very inconspicuously) about body image, self-consciousness, and beauty in general.
Add all of that to some fun action sequences, some crazy technology, and the rescuing of a friend, and well, you get the makings for something that comes off as rather special. Also, the artwork is pretty awesome. I’m curious to see where this all goes. I’m not sure if Kamala’s new superhero status is long lasting or not. And I can’t wait to see where things go with the best friend. And her abilities. I’ll definitely be looking out for Volume 2. I give this one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment