Thursday, February 26, 2015

Re-read 2015: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling


Summary (from Goodreads):
The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockheart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny.

But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone--or something--starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects...Harry Potter himself.
Review:
Re-reading these books was one of the best decisions I could have made this year. Seriously, I am having so much fun. The weird thing is I remember this book being one of my least favorite in the series, growing up. It wasn’t because I didn’t like it, so much as I remember not liking the re-reading of it. Once you know why Harry is hearing the voices, and who opened the Chamber of Secrets, it was hard to re-read and not want to yell at the characters while they were trying to figure it all out.
However, several years between readings is a sufficient enough amount of time to not want to yell at all the characters. Again, like with my re-reading of book 1, I found myself forgetting how much humor was in this. Everything from Moaning Myrtle, to Ron’s broken wand (and slug curse), to all things Gilderoy Lockhart, had me laughing out loud.
I can see why my younger self had issues re-reading this one. However, it was so interesting for my adult self to re-read and make all the connections in the world to book 7. This had to be the one book loaded with the most foreshadow. Everything from horcruxes, to hints of Voldemort’s history, to Harry/Voldemort connections is here in this one. And again, I’m awestruck at the level in which Rowling had the whole series mapped out.
This one also had wizarding duels and the flying car. How can you not love these things? I forgot that the car comes back to help in the forbidden forest. And I also forgot about Hagrid being taken away. Harry had a lot of help at the end of he book from the hat, the phoenix, the sword, and then a basilisk fang. Yet, not everything came so easy. Azkaban was introduced. And Dumbledore was voted out. Again, with the foreshadow. And I guess what I’m trying to say is that the dark times start pretty early, and this book really begins to put the darkest of all things in motion.
Also, I felt like I really began to know and understand the characters a bit better in this one. After some time at the Burrow, I definitely grew into knowing the Weasley’s more. And it was cool seeing Malfoy a little more too. And I know Lockhart is no one’s favorite character, but he is such a character!
Book 3 was always my favorite. And I’m so excited to start reading it soon. It’s two books away for me at the moment, and I can’t wait to dive back in. I’m wondering if it will remain my favorite. Also, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to give any of these books anything but a 10/10/ But, we shall see. This one certainly gets a 10/10.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I haven't re-read the series in a few years now but reading this^^ makes me want to do so right this instant! CoS was always my least favorite too and I think it's like you said: once you know about the voice Harry's hearing and all those details, it's hard to enjoy it as much. BUT. You're right that this one has all the foreshadowing: the Horcruxes, the Harry/Tom Riddle connection..and it introduces us to Dobby and The Burrow ♥ Anyway, looks like I missed your review for book 1 so I'm off to hunt it down ;) Oh and book 3 was always my fav too, enjoy it^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo, it ate my original comment, so I'll try again! I'm still on book 4 for my re-read, and the thing that really stands out to me is how well thought out the entire series is. As early as the first book, you can make connections to the seventh, and I am amazed that this was so well-plotted. I also love how much you can see her grow as a writer :) I've forgotten so many details, so it's almost like I'm reading this for the first time. haha

    ReplyDelete