Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Shadow Cabinet by Maureen Johnson


Summary (from Goodreads):
The thrilling third installment to the Edgar-nominated, bestselling series.

Rory and her friends are reeling from a series of sudden and tragic events. While racked with grief, Rory tries to determine if she acted in time to save a member of the squad. If she did, how do you find a ghost? Also, Rory’s classmate Charlotte has been kidnapped by Jane and her nefarious organization. Evidence is uncovered of a forty-year-old cult, ten missing teenagers, and a likely mass murder. Everything indicates that Charlotte’s in danger, and it seems that something much bigger and much more terrible is coming.

Time is running out as Rory fights to find her friends and the ghost squad struggles to stop Jane from unleashing her spectral nightmare on the entire city. In the process, they'll discover the existence of an organization that underpins London itself—and Rory will learn that someone she trusts has been keeping a tremendous secret.
Review:
This was amazing. It was kind of like the shows Supernatural, Buffy, and Being Human all combined together and mixed with a great contemporary YA and British setting. Seriously, the plot has thickened in this series. I could never find a good moment to put it down. It was with me as I was filing taxes. It was with me at a restaurant. And it was pretty much glued to my hands all day.
I was a little distraught after the ending of book 2, and I wasn’t sure I was going to like where I was predicting this series would go. I was so wrong. The book did not go the route of two love interests unable to touch each other (thank goodness). This took an entirely different direction that I did not foresee, and for that I am so, so grateful.
This book has it all: ghosthunting, murder, magic stones, evil ghosts, ancient mysteries, disgusting cult rituals, rescue missions, kidnappings, and really creepy London fog. The plot was so good. I thought I’d have trouble remembering characters because it’s been a long time since I read book 2. However, the character development was so good that I never felt at a loss for who was who. Also, the new characters (good and bad) were fascinating.
There’s this super creepy supernatural cult that’s headed by two super creepy twins, who may or may not be dead. And for some reason I kept picturing a certain duo from the Rocky Horror Picture show. The creepiness has taken over this book, and I loved it.
Also, this book has opened up all sorts of new possibilities in regards to the supernatural, to ghosts, and to death. There were some epic Buffy level hell hole moments that made me want to go re-watch some classic Joss Whedon. And then there were some other moments that made me think of the movie, The Labyrinth, with home life flashbacks and the needing to remember bits.
I can’t say too much more without giving some seriously good stuff away. Just know this book did not disappoint me in the slightest. I’m also finally starting to like Rory a bit more. She’s stronger and beginning to think through her actions the slightest bit more. All in all, I loved it. I give it a 10/10. And I can’t wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment