Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Re-Read 2015: The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket and read by Tim Curry



Summary from Goodreads:
Dear Customer,

This story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire orphans spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle. But don't be fooled.

The three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odour, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a large brass reading lamp, and the reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I have made a solemn vow to present this information to the public, but there is nothing stopping you from pretending you've never heard of the audiobook. Then you can buy something that is less unpleasant.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket
Review:
I know I’ve said this before, but I’m so glad I decided to make my challenge this year a re-reading one. I have completely forgotten what gems these books are. I first read them when I was child.  And I wasn’t sure what it would be like re-reading them as an adult. But, really, I think a lot of the humor went over my head in my first reading. I’m so entertained by the sarcastic humor.
I’m also in love with the narrator. Lemony Snicket is so interesting. I’m so lost in the mystery of the narrator. I need to know all there is to know. I forgot how fun it can be to have a narrator be a character. Why isn’t this done more often?
The poor Baudelaire orphans really do not ever get a break. The story picks up right from where the previous one left off. And the narrator, right away, lets us know there is no happy life awaiting the children. A lot of the story is over-the-top. But, that’s part of what makes it so fun. And Tim Curry again is the perfect over-the-top narrator for such an over-the-top plot. Also, I loved the special Reptile Room song, that I never heard before.
This was never my favorite book in the series. Though, I think I enjoyed reading it more this time. I loved the snakes (particularly the Incredibly Deadly Viper). I loved the teamwork amongst the children. I also enjoyed watching the children learn from their mistakes. I hate that Mr. Poe couldn’t learn from his mistakes though. Why couldn’t he believe the children? I was so frustrated along with the kids. So frustrated.
I’m starting to kind of remember where the story is heading, and I’m so excited to get there. I’ll be starting the next book soon. And I cannot wait for things to really get started with the overarching plot a bit more. I really enjoyed this installment, though it still isn’t my favorite of the stories. I give it an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment