Thursday, July 14, 2016

Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers



Summary from Goodreads:
His world is music. Her world is silent.

Ali Collins was a child prodigy destined to become one of the greatest musicians of the twenty-first century—until she was diagnosed with a life-changing brain tumor. Now, at seventeen, Ali lives in a soundless world where she gets by with American Sign Language and lip-reading. She’s a constant disappointment to her father, a retired cop fighting his own demons, and the bruises are getting harder to hide.

When Ali accidentally wins a backstage tour with the chart-topping band Tone Deaf, she’s swept back into the world of music. Jace Beckett, the nineteen-year-old lead singer of the band, has a reputation. He’s a jerk and a player, and Ali wants nothing to do with him. But there’s more to Jace than the tabloids let on. When Jace notices Ali’s bruises and offers to help her escape to New York, Ali can’t turn down the chance at freedom and a fresh start. Soon she’s traveling cross-country, hidden away in Jace’s RV as the band finishes their nationwide tour. With the help of Jace, Ali sets out to reboot her life and rediscover the music she once loved.
Review:
I read this book super fast (in under a day). I love books where the main character gets to meet and possibly fall in love with a famous person. I know they are not that plausible, but they read like modern day fairytales to me. I knew I’d eat this one up. I’m also super fascinated by Deaf Culture, and I couldn’t wait to read a YA book with a main character who was deaf.
This book did not disappoint in regards to those to things that I love. I also loved that two of the band member were gay and dating each other. I loved how one of them was obsessed with watching Dr Who. The characters all just seemed so real to me. They weren’t just background noise for the main event: the romance. They were a little more than that.
I loved reading all the scenes with the band bickering back and forth. I also felt like Ali’s best friend was a solid character. I wished I got to see more of her.
Both Ali and Jace came from abusive families. And I almost wish this part of the storyline was missing. Ali and Jace seemed to be connected in almost too many ways. I know a major facet of the romance was the idea that they could help each other heal because they truly understood what the other had gone through, but it felt a little over the top to me. Also, why was Jace always waking up soar, and feeling the long term effects of his injuries, while Ali never seemed to be in physical pain?
All in all, I wish there was more focus on Deaf Culture, and more connections made between Ali and Jace’s parents. I loved the characters. I found the romance to be rather predicable and cliché, yet at the same time I read it super fast. It was a nice, easy contemporary to read in the midst of the chaos of my schedule at the moment. I give it a 7/10.

1 comment:

  1. Just the fact that the MC is deaf makes me want to read this. DIVERSITY for the win! I also love the gay romance AND DOCTOR WHO ♥ I'm glad you enjoyed this overall, especially since it's a super quick read - gotta love that :)

    ReplyDelete