Monday, August 8, 2016

Every Word by Ellie Marney



Summary on Goodreads:
James Mycroft has just left for London to investigate a car accident similar to the one that killed his parents seven years ago...without saying goodbye to Rachel Watts, his 'partner in crime'.

Rachel is furious and worried about his strange behaviour - not that Mycroft's ever exactly normal, but London is the scene of so many of his nightmares. So Rachel jumps on a plane to follow him...and lands straight in a whole storm of trouble.

The theft of a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio, the possible murder of a rare books conservator, and the deaths of Mycroft's parents...Can Watts help Mycroft make sense of the three events - or will she lose him forever?

Sparks fly when Watts and Mycroft reunite in this second sophisticated thriller about the teen sleuthing duo.
Review:
So, this was supposed to be the book I could easily put down, once I got my hands on the latest Harry Potter story. It was not as easy to put down as I was hoping. It was purely awesome.
I really enjoyed book one. I am a big Sherlock Holmes fan. And I super love a boy/girl Holmes/Watson pairing, like in the show Elementary. I enjoyed book 1, but I don’t remember feeling as in love with it as the rest of the world. So, I truly thought book 2 would be the same. I was wrong. Book 2 was better. I finally understand all the love.
First off, the romance is amazing. So much sexual tension between Mycroft and Watts! It’s like all the things happen that I wish would happen on Elementary. But, also, the mystery is insane. It’s connected to the murder of Mycroft’s parents. It takes this duo to London! And it involves Shakespeare’s First Folio being stolen from the Bodleian Library in Oxford, one of the coolest places in the world (at least to English majors and or Harry Potter fans). This the perfect mystery for me.
This book also got seriously intense in moments and ways I was just not expecting. The first book was a little dark. This book was incredibly dark. Things happened that literally made my jaw drop. At one point, I even said out loud, “That did not just happen.”
And what truly makes this book incredible, beyond the top notch romance, the seriously dark mystery of a plot and the wicked, awesome British setting, is the characters. I loved these characters. Watts is so much tougher in this one. For starters, she’s joined a roller derby team. She’s brave enough to jump on a plane to London and go crime solving on her own. She’s a great main character. I loved also getting to know Mycroft more. Learning more of his history was really interesting. And I loved watching him work and interact with other people. Such a character.
All in all, this was a great book. I need to get my hands on the third one, even though it means ordering the book internationally and dealing with my bank that never likes it when I buy books internationally. Seriously, why does Amazon not have it? Or maybe the better question is: why is this not published in the U.S.? This gets a 10/10 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment