Thursday, August 4, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne



Summary on Goodreads:
The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
Review:
Oh my goodness. I cannot believe it’s August. I cannot believe this book already came out, and that I already read it (in under 24 hours I must add). I went to the midnight release party, and talked with fans, and celebrated my heart out. I threw a party at my library and then attended a separate party. I had Harry Potter cake and made crafts, and re-watched the first movie. And then of course, I got to read it. I thought nothing could be more nostalgic than attending the release party. I was wrong. Reading this play took me back to all the times I read the Harry Potter books.
And while the play was mostly a feel good play, I was so emotional because of the nostalgia. Reading this was such a treat. I never thought I’d get another story in this universe. And really, I couldn’t be happier.
Was the formatting hard to get used to? Not at all. I guess I kind of associate plays with the tough stuff like Shakespeare. As a prior English major, most of the plays I’ve read were complicated, and written at a much older time, with a much older voice. This was not complicated. It was modern, easy, and fun. I quickly got sucked into the story, as I would a regular novel.
Was it as good as the first 7 books? Honestly, no. Nothing is as good as the first seven Harry Potter novels. Nothing. I almost feel like it wasn’t enough, I needed a third part. Or fourth or a seventh. It felt much shorter than a book. I know some of the magic isn’t there because it’s meant to be seen. I’m so glad I get to actually see it (in April 2017)! But, it was still very impressive.
I loved getting to see the adult versions of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I loved seeing Harry and Ginny as a married couple. I loved seeing Harry struggling to be a father, and not necessarily having a good example to base his techniques off of. I loved the meetings with the Dumbledore portrait. I love that the Marauder’s Map and the invisibility cloak make a comeback.
I don’t want to give too much a way about the story. It was wonderful having a fresh slate and no spoilers. Just know that the story involves some time-jumping with a certain illegal time-turner. And well, this was awesome. Some crucial moments of past books are actually revisited! I never thought I’d get to see this stuff again.
I fell hard for the new characters, particularly the two best friends. I loved the complicated relationship between Harry and Albus. I love that it wasn’t over when it first felt over (a lot like with the third Harry Potter book and the original use of the time-tuner). I guess the storyline with the new bad character was not surprising enough for me. I called it from the beginning. This didn’t make it bad –just a tad too predictable. I was hoping for something a little fresher here.
That being said, I don’t care. I got to revisit Hogwarts, the Forbidden Forrest, Godric’s Hollow, and the Ministry of Magic. For some hours, I returned to a world of magic and friendship, and love. For me, nothing comes close to as good as Harry Potter. And while this wasn’t as good as the original stories, I’m fine with this. I almost wouldn’t want it to be. All in all, this was a magical addition. I loved it. I know I’ll be re-reading it for years to come. I give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment