Monday, September 26, 2016

A Good Week in Books (142) - The Boston Teen Author Festival Edition



I had a great book week. I finished 3 great books. But, also, I attended the Boston Teen Author Festival. It was the first time I made it to the festival (aka: the first time I wasn’t working that Saturday)! It was free and open to the public, thanks in large part to the Cambridge Public Library, which was a very cool place.
Basically, it opened with one, giant panel (of 35 YA authors). And from there, attendees were invited to purchase books by the authors. And then followed a day of panels, and a giant 2-hour signing session. I purchased 3 new books to be signed and I brought along 6 books from home to also be signed. I am so lucky to have such supportive friends because my two friends, who came with, took some of my books to get signed for me. Friends who support my YA obsession are the best friends out there.  I’m fairly sure I would not have been able to get them all signed otherwise. And I stayed in the lines of the authors I was excited to meet in person (pretty much the ones I hadn’t met before).
The panels were also super amazing. They are the panels I wished existed at BEA. Any way, we first went to one called “OMG There’s a Body in my Book: Writing Killer Mysteries” with authors: Brittany Cavallaro, Rebecca Podos, and Kim Savage. What a fun panel! Brittany Cavallaro is so cool, I wish I was friends with her. Then my friends and I had a yummy lunch outside at a fantastic Korean food truck, where we kind of made friends with the authors of the next panel, or at least talked about Korean foods for like 10 minutes with them.
We went back in for the panel called “Choose-Your-Own-Family Adventure” with Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Melissa Landers, Kate Scelza, and Jeff Zetner. Basically, if I have not read their books, now I need to like mad. They had such amazing stories to tell. The last panel we attended before the signing began was: “The Journey Toward Mental Health” with Kathryn Holmes, Emery Lord, Natasha Sinel, and Francisco X. Stork. That one was really insightful, and I think ended helping me out with the editing process of something I worked on last year.
All in all, it was an inspiring, fun-filled day. My friends and I ended the day in Plymouth, where we met up with my boyfriend and had a nice fall bonfire. Seriously, what a good day!
The books I took with me to be signed:


A Study in Charlotte
by Brittany Cavallaro
The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa
Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
The Archived by Victoria Schwab
Starflight by Melissa Landers
The new books I got signed:

A Darker Shade of Magic
by V.E. Schwab
Compulsion by Martina Boone
A World Without You by Beth Revis

How was your week in books?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like a fun event! And way to go with getting such quality books signed :D Enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete