Saturday, January 6, 2018

Sun Kissed by Jenny McLachlan



Summary (from Goodreads):

Kat can't believe her family is sending her to Sweden for the summer. But without her friends Bea and Betty, or even a phone signal, can Kat make it on her own?

In a land of saunas and summer sun, Kat soon realizes she has nowhere to hide. It's time to let go of what she thinks people want her to be, so she can embrace who she really is. Especially if she's going to win the heart of the cute Swede Leo.

Kat soon finds that when you're surrounded by phosphorescence and wonder it's easy to sparkle. Or maybe you only shine when you're true to yourself.
Review:
These books were meant to be fun, short, fluffy reads to end off my reading year. And they were just that. This installment might even be my favorite so far. Again, I read it in one sitting. They are rather short books, so this isn’t some remarkable feet. But, still.
I wasn’t expecting to love Kat like I loved Bea and Betty. Kat was the not so good friend of book 1. She’s the one who sided with the bully and even still defends the bully. I was expecting her character to be the weak link. I was not expecting to love her so much. In a way, she’s not as dedicated as Bea or as tough as Betty. She’s certainly not as fierce as the mean Pearl. But, she is entirely her own person. And I loved every girly moment.
I loved watching her see the positive side of things. She did some serious growing up in Sweden. And I’m a sucker for a book where the girl travels for the summer and learns some things about herself (Can you say Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?). I came to see Kat as a strong, girly fighter who refuses to back down from a challenge.
I also loved the romance here. I love how innocent it was. I mean the two lovebirds barely even touched –but their relationship was sizzling.  The sense of humor from the previous books was still there. So were my favorite characters (via letters). I also loved Kat’s aunt and all the quirky people on the island who she grew to love.
All in all, I loved this book. I cannot wait to get Pearl’s story. I love reading stories that explain why people are the way they are, and I have a feeling Pearl will have a lot of stories like that. If you’re looking for something, fun, flirty, and light this is your series. There’s a strong emphasis on family and girl friendships. There’s always romance too. I give this one a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment