Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Star Struck by Jenny McLachlan



Summary from Goodreads:
Following on from Flirty Dancing, Love Bomb and Sunkissed, Jenny McLachlan's next book is perfect for fans of Geek Girl and Louise Rennison.

In a huge fantastic final hurrah to our lovable heroines - Bea, Betty, Kat and Pearl - Jenny McLachlan's latest book tells Pearl's story. Pearl is the 'bad girl' of the group - she drinks, she smokes, she swears - and she's mean to Bea and Betty. But she did fly halfway round the world to rescue Kat in Sunkissed. If there's one thing Pearl knows deep down, it is how to be a friend. And now, more than ever, she could really use a friend.

There will be laughter, there will be tears and there will definitely be kissing. Most importantly, Pearl will be keeping it fierce!
Review:
I loved this one. I had mixed feelings going in: excitement for another installment of this fabulous series and dread that it would be too hard reading from the perspective of the mean girl.

I read this in a couple of sittings. I loved it. I loved seeing why Pearl is the way she is. Her home life was kind of terrifying. And I wasn't expecting to feel so strongly and feel so afraid in this book (where the rest of the books in the series were a lot more fluffy). I had tears at one point or two. Stuff got too real with her pet fish.

I also loved the romance. I wasn't sure if the author was going to do anything with my unconventional ship or not. I thought it might just be a friendship story, and that would have been okay too. But, I was shipping so hard. And I was so happy to have my ship sail. That being said, the one thing I did not love was the ending with the play. That felt a little too forced -too Disney channel. I would have been happier if it went according to plan, and maybe had a little more resolution with Pearl's family life.  But, I get that not everything can be as perfectly wrapped up as I’d want it to be.

All in all though, this was amazing. I loved the humor, sarcasm, girl friendship, romance, family drama, everything. I highly recommend this series to everyone (especially those who are recovering still -years later from the end of the Georgia Nicholson books).
This is a great series for girls just hitting the YA level of things. It reads mostly for a younger group of YA readers, but I really see anyone appreciating them. And except for this last installment, they are rather fluffy, and just super fun and easy to read. I give this last one a 9/10. And I wish I could get my hands on more of these author’s books, but they appear not be on sale yet in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment